Sunday, October 28, 2012

Unintentional Collaboration from the Other Side of the World and Voila!Math Common Core Games!

Yara, a TPT teaching colleague,  rated and left a comment on my Boo Cards, saying they could be used as part of a game.  I had never even considered that!  So of course, my wheels started turning, and I thought you could print out  a set of them -- say 30 or so, write numbers between -- well, anything really, depending on what your grade level,and use them for math games.

Since I teach first grade, my immediate thought was numbers beween 0 and 10 for an addition game, and numbers between 0 and 20 for subtraction games.  I would teach the kids to play it similar to war.  Flip two cards, either add or subtract, whoever has the highest number wins the pile.

Or, print out 100, write numbers between 0 and 100, and have the kids play greater than, less than.  Each player flips a card.  Whoever has the greatest number or lesser number (depending on what you decide) wins.  For an  extra challenge, have the kids work in groups of four.  They would have to order the four numbers!

Just those few games I mentioned correlate to Math Common Core standards 1.OA.3. Apply properties of operations as strategies to add and subtract, 1.OA.4.Understand subtraction as an unknown-addend problem, 1.OA.5. Relate counting to addition and subtraction, 1.OA.6. Add and subtract within 20, demonstrating fluency for addition and subtraction within 10, and 1.OA.8. Determine the unknown whole number in an addition or subtraction equation relating three whole numbers.

Click on the image below to grab your Boo! cards.  And a special thanks to Yara for getting my wheels turning with her comment on the product. Only on TeachersPayTeachers could you have unintentional collaboration from the other side of the world!  You can click {here} to check out Yara's TPT products!  She has a really cute  store!



Here's my second group of Boo-ees!  We're having so much fun with this, and it helps to build community in our classroom.  Good stuff!


Do you have any other ideas about how to use the cards?  What Math Common Core standards would they correlate to for your grade level?  I'd love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think about this post!

 
Blogging tips